Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Phone Scam

This happened to a friend of mine.  Also from an IT perspective it is very easy to emulate someone's phonenumber.  With VOIP it's possible to you from any number pretending to be anyone. Be careful :

Lunch time today, female calling herself Inspector Wong (with handphone 014-3892523) said that my I/C has been used to open an account at Citibank Hong Kong. She very quickly went through a series of digits as the Citibank account number. She claims that Lam Hong Heng and Yip Chun Hong (not real name, just sounded like this) has used my I/C number to open an account in Hong Kong for money laundering. This is classified as a serious offence and I could be jailed for it. If I am not guilty, I need to call 00852 65252484 and look for Inspector Lau Tuck Keong (or Lau Tuck Keong Tuk Chat).


Called Bukit Aman and operator there confirmed that this is a scam. I asked how were they able to use Bukit Aman’s line (03-22626222). She said ‘Ini dalam siasatan’.

‘Inspector Wong’ called back twice. I told her she does not exist in Bukit Aman. She asked whether I was routed to her department to confirm. I told her ‘The operator said today there had been a number of calls regarding you, kes tipu’. She later gave me an address which matches mine and she tried to dig for more information. I kept quite and she hung up.

She later called back again and I spoke to her in English. She has bad English. For example, ‘What time you coming?’ she asked when she wanted me to meet her at Bukit Aman. I had her on speakerphone and continued working. She hung up.

So if you receive such calls, if you need some entertainment, then talk to her in English. If you don’t want to waste time, just hang up.

We speculate that she is getting all the information from a piece of application form.

Please be careful.

2 comments:

  1. I received a similar call this morning. This guy claimed he is Wong Kah Meng from Bukit Aman's Dept D5 Jabatan Siasatan Jenayah Komersial. Same story that somebody used my account for money laundering - Yap Chun Hoong & Lim Hong Seng (I asked for exact spelling) and gave me his mobile no 010-2581914. The HK's contact is Wong Kuang - 00852-65207057. They speak Mandarin. Lucky didn't provide any personal particulars to them coz the thought of *scam* kept coming as we spoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the same called here today. Seems to be all the same tactics. Even the name is similar.

    http://ubisoft.biz/dc/2010/06/scam-using-bukit-aman-phone-line.html

    ReplyDelete